Static paper prototype: testers interact with static paper models.
Dynamic paper prototype: testers' choices affect the "next step" sketched with paper.
- Design flaws are caught early, and alternatives are quick to generate and tested.
- Get interactive faster, sooner, and cheaper.
In a testing session, there are:
Facilitator - talks with users and walk them through the exercise
Computer - manipulates paper interface in response to users' actions
Videographer - videotapes the testing session
When is this used?
- Quickly explore a concept
- Informal testing or quick probes
- Usability testing
- Future reference
- Communicate ideas to those not physically presented
- Capture user comments and subtle interactions
- The aesthetic quality of prototype did not bias users for or against the prototype's perceived usability.
- Sketches are not prototypes.
- Just because something looks like a sketch doesn't mean that it is a sketch.
- Design: Branching exploration and comparison
- Usability Engineering: Iterative incremental refinement
- The role of design is to find the best design.
- The role of usability engineering is to help that design the best.
- Innovation in process trumps innovation in product.
- Sketches, prototypes, models, simulations, and demos.