Horribly long elevator waiting line in the building ( 2 W 13th St.) before class start times. The major cause of this problem is the inefficient use of the elevators (have each of them stops at almost every floor). This wastes time and causes long waiting line formed at the first floor.
Purpose: Maximize the usage of limited resources.
Target Space: lobby at 2 W. 13th
Audience: people who have access to 2 W. 13th
Method: Design an environment that direct the users to designated elevators according to their destination.
Design Questions and Challenges
Best Practice - What's the best way to allocate elevators to floors?
Aesthetic - The design should not conflict with the original environment.
Flexibility - The design need to account for non-rush hour usage.
1. Existing Elevator System Models
2. Innovative Traffic Control - Technology and Practice in Europe
3. NY Subway - 7 Express v.s. 7 Local
4. Portable-deflatable Led-Matrix
5. Restaurant Logo Projection
6. Philip Color Kinetics - NECA 2008
On-floor lighting instructions and traffic direction layout
8:40 am - 9:00am
11:40am - 12:00pm
2:40pm - 3:00pm
5:40pm - 6:00pm
User Scenario: Off-Peak Hours
User Scenario: Peak Hours
Strength & Weakness
- Optimize Resources
- Blend in with original environment
- Implementation Cost & Technical Possiblity
- Is the proposed elevator assignment the best practice?
- Human behavior - will people cooperate?